Saturday 29 October 2011

Bashy - The Chupa Chups Mixtape

So is Ur Mum Vol. 1 grime then? Bashy.com turned out to be Bashy spitting on popular American hip hop beats with a US-style flow, so in a hope to find him sticking to his roots earlier on I checked out Chupa Chups only to find it's the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with UK hip hop of course, but I don't think I've ever heard a good mixtape where a UK guy spits over Rick Ross style beats. I just hate to hear a British MC conforming to US standards, and the accent and slang don't transfer over well either.

The worst part, though, is that Bashy is a really good MC. But to hear it, you're gonna have to dig up some old Special Delivery sets from around '04 because back then he spat hard and funny lyrics over suitable grimey production. Some of his more recent tracks like Black Boys are good too, so I don't know. I didn't bother with Catch Me If You Can when it came out because of it's poppier edge but now I'm thinking it might be a safer bet. Either that or Ur Mum Vol. 1, the mixtape before this one. But this isn't really worth your time, it's just boring and fails to deliver, all these beats are as played out as his flow and we've heard all these same street tales and braggado tracks before. I don't think I've ever got through the whole thing in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment