Saturday 29 October 2011

Chronik - Free Chronik

I got a bit overanalytical with this one. I was expecting a good, strong, full-length mixtape and the release was way more unprofessional than I expected. 4 grime tracks, one rap track, a love song with autotune and a poorly recorded live set? Disappointing.

But then I remember that my favourite grime moments are crudely ripped pirate radio recordings and I stop whining. I wasn't sure about Chronik on Rude Kid beats at first but I really think it works now. He does slip off beat a bit here and there but otherwise Just Do Music, Goon to a Goon and to a degree Swear Down are the Chronik that we love from back in the day. You've probably heard Swear Down and Ring where Chronik does his best Tempz impersonation and sounds evil as shit doing it. Black Glove 2 is a road rap tune using the beat from Giggs' Look What the Cat Dragged In and what do you know, Chronik sounds good on this shit too. Should be no surprise based on the strength of the rap tunes on Blaze More Dan U (Iron Eye, Don't Push Me and Hop Out of the Whip), but this is the first time I've hear him on proper trapping road rap production and he goes hard ("I ain't going back to jail, fuck Babylon!").

Rollin' Wheel is the weirdest one. It uses the beat from JME's I'm the Best but it has Chronik rambling in autotune about being struck by Cupid and falling in love. It should suck but it doesn't, Chronik sounds great over this emotional beat and even the autotune works. I mean it shouldn't but it does. Some of the lyrics and metaphors are weird as hell, in an almost Weezy's 'I Feel Like Dying' vibe, you have to smoke a fuckload of weed to open a track with "I used to chase sparrows" on the same mixtape as lyrics like "Blud don't panic, MY FRIENDS GOT THE TING ON MATIC!"

Just Jam is a set Chronik did a couple of days after he left prison, the sound qualities bad as it was just ripped from a handcam but if it's great hearing how sick and excited Chronik sounds straight after being released, Spooky's on decks being a don as usual and Footsie and a few other MCs get a few bars in too. The recordings pretty raw and you can hear the crowd louder than the MCs but it's still pretty sick.

This does have a dickload of problems as I said, but they're rendered obsolete by what is easily the most greeziest hyping in years..."I'm a goon to a goon, I'LL LET THE TING GO IN HIS FACE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment