Saturday 29 October 2011

Blizzard - Distorted Eyes

I should say that this is definitely worth downloading, but mostly for the instrumental material on the second half. First five tracks are...okay. Yeah the bars are good, Blizzard's talented etc. but there's just nothing standout that makes me want to listen to them. I don't really like the hooks, which feel a little forced, and when he gets too cocky and swaggerish it just gets annoying. Still, he has skills for anyone that's heard his freestyles and battles, but it's hard to make that leap from a talented MC to actually packaging your music - has a lot to do with picking the right kind of beat, bars, vibe and hook and here, it just comes off as average. Passable, decent, skilled for sure but nothing that motivates me to listen further, you know?

As for the instrumentals, that side's a lot better. Starts off with a generic bass-heavy beat but quickly turns into cool, chilled out reflective shit that isn't too out there or heavy but has a real nice vibe to it. I was high when I heard it and was pretty impressed but that shit tends to translate over well to when I'm sober. It was definitely a nice surprise though, after the rather bland first half, and it peaks with Imagine the World, a less swaggerish, more deep and serious vocalled track - not sure if that's his beat or not but it suits the vibe of the latter half and ends things way better than they began.

And now for that obligatory little bit where I say how I think the MC could improve: I'd say Blizzard should go down that deep route with mellow beats and real life lyrics, it just works so much better for him than the swagger stuff. Yeah I'm typically a fan of more hype shit but this just suits Blizzard so much better. If I was Blizzard, I'd keep listening to a mix of Burial and J-Dilla and go down that route, as the second half of this little free EP is much better than the first half (and it has much more to do with the vibe than the fact that there are no vocals).

No comments:

Post a Comment